Video captures Covid mask dispute that led to woman’s death in Canadian hospital

Video captures Covid mask dispute that led to woman’s death in Canadian hospital

Video captures Covid mask dispute that led to woman’s death in Canadian hospital

A dispute over a Covid mask that led to the death of a woman in a Canadian hospital has been captured in recently released security video.

Danielle Stephanie Warriner, 43, died after a confrontation with security guards inside Toronto General Hospital in May 2020.

Two security guards were first detained by Toronto police over the death. But Amanda Rojas-Silva, 42, of Stouffville, and Shane Hutley, 35, of Brougham, were charged with manslaughter and criminal negligence causing death by Superior Court Judge Sean Dunphy last November.

Now the heartbreaking video of Warriner being restrained by guards has been released.

The actual events leading up to the victim’s injury are not captured on the video, which was diverted from the incident at the time it happened.

But during the incident, investigators say she was pushed against the wall, restrained and lost consciousness, something she would never regain.

Officials said the confrontation happened because Warriner, who had bipolar disorder and was seeking help for breathing difficulties, was not wearing his mask properly.

“After testing negative for COVID-19, all Stephanie did was go to the hospital food court looking for something to eat,” her sister Denise said. The Toronto Sun.

“Video shows she had difficulty breathing and sat down in a chair.”

And she added: “There was indifference towards him. She was fought over like cattle,” Denise said. “She was pushed against the wall, restrained and handcuffed. It was heartless, cruel and unnecessary.

“It was not a prison but a hospital. The guards didn’t know it but Stephanie was a nice caring person. She hadn’t broken any laws and hurt no one. She had lowered the mask only to breathe.

A coroner’s report said the video camera, which was operated remotely by hospital security, had been “deliberately diverted” from the incident as it escalated.

“While there is some evidence from which the Crown can infer an inference of unlawful conduct on the part of the accused in the form of assault and/or forcible confinement, the actions attributed to the accused for which there is evidence equivalent to restraining the deceased with minimal violence, the foreseeable consequences of which would be either insignificant or temporary in terms of potential bodily harm,” ruled the criminal judge before dismissing it.

The Independent contacted the University Health Network for comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *