Tire Nichols case: Memphis man’s death after traffic stop sparks protest, police investigations

Tire Nichols case: Memphis man’s death after traffic stop sparks protest, police investigations

Tire Nichols case: Memphis man’s death after traffic stop sparks protest, police investigations

Protests erupted near a police station in Memphis, Tennessee, over the weekend as community members called for the release of body camera footage recorded during a traffic stop at the beginning of the month directly preceding the death of Tire D. Nichols. Family, friends and supporters of Nichols, a 29-year-old black man from Memphis, released balloons to honor his life on Saturday as protests took place near the site of the traffic stop.

On Jan. 7, Nichols was arrested after officers pulled him over for reckless driving, according to authorities, who later said a confrontation occurred as officers approached him, and Nichols s then fled the scene. They also referred to another “confrontation” between Nichols and responding officers before he was finally caught and arrested.

“Subsequently, the suspect complained of shortness of breath, in which case an ambulance was called,” and Nichols was taken to hospital in critical condition, police said. On Tuesday, he “succumbed to his injuries,” the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation reported last week without describing the nature of those injuries.

The state agency is conducting an independent investigation into the use of force by Memphis police officers involved in Nichols’ arrest. The investigation came at the request of Shelby County District Attorney General Steve Mulroy, office officials said, noting that police contacted Mulroy’s office because of the seriousness of Nichols’ condition.

While the state’s investigation is ongoing, Memphis Police Department officials said they are taking “prompt and deliberate action to maintain transparency, accountability, public trust and legitimacy within of our community”. The department is conducting its own internal administrative investigation into potential violations of policy by the officers who arrested Nichols, and expects the process to be completed by the end of this week, the NYPD said. Memphis in a statement. Press release published on Sunday.

“After reviewing various sources of information regarding this incident, I have determined that immediate and appropriate action is required,” Memphis Police Chief CJ Davis said in a statement included in the statement. communicated. “Today, the department is advising affected officers of the impending administrative action.”

“There is no doubt that we take the department’s violations very seriously, and while we must complete the investigative process, our top priority is to ensure that justice is served quickly,” the Memphis mayor said. , Jim Strickland, in a separate statement on the investigations. “We want citizens to know that we are ready to take immediate and appropriate action based on what the results determine.”

Rodney Wells, Nichols’ stepfather, told CBS affiliate station WREG-TV on Saturday that his stepson suffered cardiac arrest and kidney failure from a beating by officers.

“When we got to the hospital, it was devastating,” Wells said. “All of this still shouldn’t be happening because of a traffic stoppage. You shouldn’t be on a dialysis machine looking like this because of a traffic stoppage. It’s inhumane.”

Protesters said authorities should release body camera footage of the arrest.

“The least they can do is be transparent with the mother, father and family and show them this video of what happened to their son,” community activist Kareem Ali told WMC-TV.

Nichols’ older sister, Keyana Dixon, said during the balloon release that the officers who arrested Nichols were in an unmarked vehicle, according to The Commercial Appeal.

“If he ran away, it was because he was scared,” Dixon said. “A traffic stop is supposed to be a traffic stop for anyone, and they were in an unmarked vehicle, so I already knew what he was thinking.”

The newspaper said it could not independently confirm the details described by the family. The Memphis Police Department referred the questions to the state office, which said it is still investigating.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *