Police have been called to victims’ house parties 3 times since August

Police have been called to victims’ house parties 3 times since August

Police have been called to victims’ house parties 3 times since August

  • Police have been called to the site of the Idaho murders three times since August.
  • There were frequent house parties, according to neighbors and police reports.
  • On December 30, Bryan Kohberger was charged with murder in the murder of four students in the home.

MOSCOW, Idaho In the months leading up to the brutal murder of four University of Idaho students in November, Moscow police repeatedly responded to complaints of loud parties at the off-campus house where most of them lived .

Neighborhood police reports describe young people coming and going from the house, where they have been drinking and listening to music. After police spoke with some of the residents of the house – Kaylee Goncalves, 21, Madison Mogen, 21, and Xana Kernodle, 20 – they left the scene without citing the students.

The young women, along with Ethan Chapin, 20, who did not live there, were brutally killed at the home just before 4.30am on November 13, although a surviving housemate – Dylan Mortensen – did not place a Called 911 reporting an “unconscious person” until noon.

Later, after police found the bodies, Mortensen told police she opened her door in the middle of the night after hearing noises and a male voice. She said she saw a man she did not recognize – “a figure dressed in black clothing” wearing a mask that covered his mouth and nose, according to a police affidavit in the case.

She told police the man walked past her as she stood in “frozen shock” and then locked herself in her bedroom as the man headed for a rear sliding glass entrance.

The timing of the first 911 call, hours after police said the four students had each been stabbed multiple times, raised questions about why no one alerted authorities sooner.

But police reports obtained by Insider and interviews with local residents show the house was often noisy and frequented by unfamiliar faces.

Several residents of a nearby large brick apartment building described disruptive late-night parties with loud music and many visitors entering and leaving through an unlocked door.

Vincent Sheetz, a Lyft driver, told Insider he now refuses to pick up or drop off anyone in the victims’ home area on party nights because his car was thrown up and hit with objects there.

He said he previously worked as a caterer at several University of Idaho fraternity and sorority houses and couldn’t stand it.

“The amount of drugs and alcohol in all of this was mind-boggling,” he told Insider. “So I quit.”

Goncalves was a member of Alpha Phi sorority, and Kernodle and Mogen were members of Pi Beta Phi.

Both sororities are currently on probation at the university for “health and safety violations.”

A police tape surrounds the Moscow, Idaho home that is the site of the Nov. 13 murders of four University of Idaho students.

The off-campus house.

Photo by David Ryder/Getty Images

Enriched country and seltzer music

Police were asked to respond to a noise complaint at 1122 King Road at 5:40 p.m. on August 16, about five days before the start of the fall semester at the university.

When an officer came to the door that night, Goncalves answered and told her she was in high school.

He told her he had “nothing against” parties as long as everyone was of age but the music disturbed the peace and should be refused.

If called back after the warning, he said he would have to give them a ticket and a heavy fine.

“If I come back, there’s about a $300 bill waiting for you,” the officer said. “I’d rather you spent that $300 on beer or something fun.”

Police returned to the house for another noise complaint on September 1, just after 8:30 p.m.

As officers approached, they heard music and saw young women walking down the street. While asking the women if they knew who lived in the house, officers saw other women “flee the scene”, according to the report.

“As I approached the house, I observed a black backpack and a case of Truly Seltzers on the ground outside the house,” the officer wrote.

When a woman answered and said she would ask a resident of the house to speak to them, officers waited 10 minutes before several unnamed men showed up at the door.

They told officers they would call Madison Mogen, who lived there. A black backpack filled with White Claw Seltzer was also left behind by the fleeing revelers, according to the report.

“I explained the noise complaint to Mogen. I said she should contact her friends at home and advise them to keep the noise down,” the officer wrote in his report. “Mogen understood and apologized. Before cleaning up, I emptied the contents of the alcoholic beverages left behind.”

Another call came 4 1/2 hours later. Police were home at 12:30 p.m. on September 2 with another noise complaint – this time for loud country music.

One of the officers asked those on the back porch of the house to turn off the music and speak with a resident of the house, according to the report.

Xana Kernodle came to the door. The officer asked Kernodle if she had spoken with Mogen, and she said no. The officer told him this was the second time police had responded to a house party and that if they were to return, residents would be cited, the report said. Kernodle understood and said she would “kick” everyone out of the house, according to the report.

Bryan Koberger

Bryan Kohberger during a hearing in Latah County District Court on January 5.

Ted S. Warren/Pool via Reuters TPX Images of the day

Finally an arrest

Matthew Moye, 22, whose home overlooks the victims’ home, told Insider he called the Sept. 1 noise complaint because he had an early morning the next day.

He said he and Goncalves once walked their dogs together and that she was friends with Dylan Mortensen, the surviving roommate. Moye said the three women and their two roommates were nice but had a penchant for throwing frequent parties where country music played throughout the neighborhood.

“It felt like everyone was having fun all the time,” he said. “They were adorable, fun-loving girls.”

On December 30, after a manhunt that lasted more than a month, police arrested 28-year-old criminology graduate student Bryan Kohberger and charged him with four counts of murder and a burglary boss.

Prosecutors say Kohberger had driven from his home in Pullman, Wash., about 10 minutes, 12 times before the murders. A knife sheath left at the grisly scene contained DNA that matched trash at her parents’ home in Albrightsville, Pennsylvania.

Kohberger is being held without bail and awaiting trial.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *